Distinguished Service Award
Did You Know?
Luther grads attend a special graduation ceremony and luncheon celebration at Luther College as well as the U of R convocation ceremony
Every single degree program at Luther College offers an optional experiential learning component; gain real world experience and get paid while you go to school!
The Luther College Residence offers an early payment discount. You can save up to $225 when you pay by August 15 (for Fall) and/or December 15 (for Winter)!
The Luther College Residence hosts multiple social events and programs throughout the year, such as Christmas Dinner, International Night, Mardi Gras, and Karaoke Night.
It pays to go to Luther College. Literally. Luther students are eligible for an additional $100,000 in scholarships, in addition to all of the awards available to them as U of R!
Luther College offers year-round campus and residence tours as well as one-on-one enrollment counselling.
The Luther College Residence is a great place for student athletes; it’s conveniently located and comes with a great meal plan.
Luther students can register in Arts, Science, or Media, Art, and Performance degree programs. All degrees are awarded by the U of R.
Luther College Distinguished Service Award
Terms of Reference
The Luther College Distinguished Service Award is granted to individuals who have shown dedication to and support for Luther College and its mission. Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Have demonstrated ongoing loyalty and commitment to Luther College
- Have shown outstanding contribution and service to Luther College
- Have contributed to activities that have enhanced the reputation and overall strength of Luther College
- Are no longer active as employees or Board of Regents members at Luther College
- It is preferred that nominees are able to attend the awards ceremony or equivalent event in person, and are willing to participate in publicity for the awards ceremony. However, the award can also be awarded posthumously.
Nomination, Selection and Award Procedures
- Any individual may make a nomination for the Luther College Distinguished Service Award. To be considered, nominations must be submitted to the president’s office in writing (email will suffice) and will clearly identify how the nominee meets some or all of the criteria listed above. Members of the selection committee can also make nominations. The deadline for applications is June 15.
- Nominations submitted will be kept on file in confidence for a period of five years. Nominations need not be resubmitted during this timeframe.
- The award need not be presented annually, but will be done so at the discretion of the committee when a truly worthy candidate is nominated.
- The selection committee will be appointed by the President and will normally consist of at least one staff member from each campus, two Board members, and one or two other members of the Luther College community whether that be alumni, former staff, parents, past recipients, etc. The President will try to have committee members serve more than a year at a time to give some continuity to the committee’s deliberations.
- Given the two campus nature of Luther College, the Committee will try to give some balance to whether the recipient’s chief service was to the LCUR or LCHS campus. It is preferred though not mandatory that the award alternate between recipients more easily identified with the LCUR and the LCHS campus.
- The award will be presented by the President, the Chair of the Board of Regents or their designate at a suitable occasion at the discretion of the selection committee (for example, Founders’ Day, a long-service ceremony, a Convocation ceremony, a Board of Regents event, or an event specific to the award). If the nominee is not able to attend the event, the award will be presented in absentia.
Nominations can be submitted at any time. To nominate a candidate for the award, please complete the form below.
Distinguished Service Award Recipients
2012 - Dr. Morris Anderson
2013 - Dick Stark
2014 - Rein & Ella Sommerfeld
2015 - Richard Nostbakken
2016 - Dr. Don Lee