Did You Know?
Every single degree program at Luther College offers an optional experiential learning component; gain real world experience and get paid while you go to school!
ALL U of R students including Luther students can take Luther courses.
Luther College offers year-round campus and residence tours as well as one-on-one enrollment counselling.
Luther students enjoy personalized one-on-one academic advising: our academic advisors are here to help you from registration to graduation.
Luther students can sign up for the UR Guarantee program - get a guaranteed job after you graduate!
Small classes = big advantages. As a federated college, Luther College classes are typically smaller. This allows for students to connect with their profs and classmates.
The Luther College Residence is a great place for student athletes; it’s conveniently located and comes with a great meal plan.
Luther College offers Bundles and Bundles Plus programs! Bundles and Bundles Plus are groupings of courses hand-selected by our academic advisors to help set new students up for a successful first semester.
Dr. Fotini Labropulu
Dr. Fotini Labropulu has been teaching at Luther College at the University of Regina for the last seventeen years. Previously, she held an NSERC Postgraduate Award at the University of Western Ontario. Dr. Labropulu studied Applied Partial Differential Equations and Fluid Dynamics at the University of Windsor, graduating with a Ph.D. in 1993. She has published and presented academic papers on various aspects of Fluid Dynamics. Dr. Labropulu received the Governor General of Canada’s Gold Medal Award for the best academic performance at a M.Sc. level. She has also received numerous NSERC research grants. Dr. Labropulu’s current research interest is in the area of forced, mixed convection and heat transfer flows of non-Newtonian fluids in the presence of a magnetic field.
MATH 103 - Calculus for Social & Management Science
MATH 104 - Calculus I(a)
MATH 105 - Calculus I(b)
MATH 108 - Mathematical Problems, Ideas and Personalities
MATH 110 - Calculus I
MATH 111 - Calculus II
MATH 122 - Linear Algebra I
MATH 217 - Differential Equations & Series
MATH 308 - Topics in the History of Mathematics
MATH 381 - Differential Equations II
MATH 395 - Introduction to Continuum Mechanics
MATH 481/881 - Partial Differential Equations.
MATH 890AB - Introduction to Continuum Mechanics
MATH 890AC - Fluid Dynamics II
MATH 891AB - Fluid Dynamics I
Current Reseach and Community Work
- Forced and mixed convection fluid flows of non-Newtonian fluids
- Heat transfer flow of non-Newtonian fluids
- Unsteady non-Newtonian fluid flows with heat transfer and MHD.
- Turbulent flows with application to the environment and ground water pollution.
- Development of analytical methods for obtaining exact solutions of fluid flows with complex geometries.
- Numerical solutions of steady viscous and viscoelastic fluid flows.
Selected Recent Academic Publications
F. Labropulu and A. Ghaffar, Oblique Newtonian fluid flow with heat transfer towards a stretching sheet, Computational Problems in Engineering, Springer Verlag, June 2014.
Papers in Refereed Journals
I. Husain, F. Labropulu, C. Langdon and J. Schwark, A Comparison of Newtonian and non-Newtonian Models for Pulsatile Blood Flow Simulations, J. of Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, in press, 2013.
B. Sahoo and F. Labropulu, Steady Homann flow and heat transfer of an electrically conducting second grade fluid, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Vol. 63, 2012.
D. Li, F. Labropulu and I. Pop, Mixed convection flow of a viscoelastic fluid near the orthogonal stagnation-point on a vertical surface, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 50, pp. 1698-1705, 2011.
F. Labropulu, Unsteady stagnation-point flow of a Newtonian fluid in the presence of a magnetic field, Int. J. Non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 46, pp. 938-941, 2011.
I. Husain, F. Labropulu and I. Pop, Two-diminsional oblique stagnation-point flow towards a stretching surface in a viscoelastic fluid, Central European Journal of Physics, Vo. 9(1), pp. 176-182, 2011.
F. Labropulu, D. Li and I. Pop, Non-orthogonal stagnation-point flow towards a stretching surface in a non-Newtonian fluid with heat transfer, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 49, pp. 1042-1050, 2010.
D. Li, F. Labropulu and I. Pop, Oblique stagnation-point flow of a viscoelastic fluid with heat transfer, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 44, pp. 1024-1030, 2009.
I. Husain, F. Labropulu and M. Chinichian, MHD stagnation-point flow of a non-Newtonian fluid with slip, Far East J. Applied Mathematics, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 243-256, 2009.
Sahoo B., Abbasbandy S., Poncet S. Pop I., Labropulu F., Modeling and Computation of Bodewadt Flow and Heat Transfer of a Viscous Fluid Near a Rough Disk, International Conference on Mathematical Modeling and Computer Simulation with Applications, Department of Mathematics & Statistics, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, December 31, 2013- January 02, Kanpur, India, 2014.
F. Labropulu and A. Ghaffar, Oblique Newtonian fluid flow with heat transfer towards a stretching sheet, International Conference on Applied Mathematics and Computational Mrthods in Engineering (AMCME 2013), July 16-19, Rhodes Island, Greece, 2013.
F. Labropulu and D. Li, Unsteady Oscillatory non-Newtonian Fluid Flow, 5th International Conference on Experiments/Process/System Modelling/ Simulation/Optimization, July 3-6, Athens, Greece, 2013.
F. Labropulu, I. Pop and D. Li, Viscoelastic mixed convection fluid flow over a vertical stretching surface, 7th WSEAS International Conference on Continuum Mechanics, July 14-17, Kos Island, Greece, 2012.
F. Labropulu, “Non-Newtonian mixed convection flow on a vertical surface in the presence of a magnetic field”, 2012 CMS Summer Meeting, Regina, June 2-4, 2012 (invited).
Scientific Journal Reviewer
Served as a reviewer for the following scientific Journals in Engineering and Applied Mathematics:
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer
- International Journal of Engineering Science
- International Journal of Thermal Sciences
- International Journal of Mathematical and Computer Modelling
- Acta Mechanica
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics
- Journal of Chemical Engineering Communications
- Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung
- Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation
- Computers and Mathematics with Applications
- Central European Journal of Physics
- Applied Mathematics and Mechanics
- Journal of Thermal Sciences
- Journal of the Australian Mathematical Society Series B: Applied Mathematics
- Journal of King Saud University (Science)
- Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics (IJPAM)
- Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Science (Math Science)
- Applied Mathematics Letters
- World Journal of Modelling and Simulation
- Proceedings for Mathematical Sciences
- Journal of Fluids Engineering
- Advances in Mechanical Engineering
- Applied Mathematical Modelling
- Far East Journal of Mathematical Sciences
- European Journal of Mechanics-B/Fluids
Journal Editorial Board
Serving as a Member of the Editorial Board for the following scientific Journals in Engineering and Applied Mathematics:
- Radical Journal of Mathematical Physics
- Global Journals of Researches in Engineering
- Advances and Applications in Fluid Mechanics