Did You Know?
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.
When the College was first looking to relocate from Melville to Regina, it considered land at College & Winnipeg, College & Broad, and 23rd & Albert, finally settling on 18 acres of land on the west end of property owned by Government House, now called Royal Street.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.
Through extensive internal and external consultations, Luther College has developed a long-term strategic vision involving significant construction and renovation projects. The strategic vision anticipates three separate phases of renewal construction to address all of the needs and issues identified by a comprehensive internal assessment process.
Features of the strategic vision include:
A. Two gymnasiums (PHASES 1 & 2)
- New gymnasium
- More space for physical education and recreational activities
- Fitness facilities that promote health and well-being
- Renovated floor and HVAC upgrades for heritage gymnasium
B. New fine arts space (PHASES 1 & 2)
- Rebuilt stage in heritage gymnasium
- New classrooms, storage and office space
- New and flexible rehearsal and performing spaces
- Welcoming ambience and inspiring space for chapel time
C. Enhanced common areas (PHASES 1, 2 & 3)
- Renovations to existing cafeteria as an interim measure
- Attractive new student commons (social & study space)
- Linked traffic corridors that unite current and new facilities around the central courtyard
- Enhanced accessibility
D. New cafeteria (PHASE 3)
- More efficient food preparation and service
- Improved traffic flow
- Increased seating capacity
- Attractive multi-use space
Luther's Charitable Registration No.: 107650061RR0001