About the Luther College Logo
Did You Know?
Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
When the College was first looking to relocate from Melville to Regina, it considered land at College & Winnipeg, College & Broad, and 23rd & Albert, finally settling on 18 acres of land on the west end of property owned by Government House, now called Royal Street.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
Do you know someone in Kindergarten to Grade 8 that would like to be part of the Luther Family? Encourage them to join the Future Luther Student program!
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
The first annual Senior Girls Volleyball Tournament was held in 1998 and is still going strong today!
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.
About the Luther College Logo
Held within the Luther logo are the cross, the circle, and the leaves -- all symbols of Luther College’s reason for being. The cross obviously symbolizes Christ, in whom is found God’s will and design for all people; the leaves attached to the cross indicate the capacity to grow in knowledge and understanding of the world and its creator. Many also see the cross and leaves as representing a tree of knowledge. As truth is often represented by a circle for completeness, the circle surrounding the head of the cross refers to the constant search for truth within the Lutheran tradition even while realizing one will never fully hold it on this side of eternity.
The current Luther logo was designed by Judy Swanson of Northfield, Minnesota, who was connected to Saint Olaf College and Camrose Lutheran College in Alberta, for the University campus using the College’s colours of blue and white. The design made its public appearance in 1974. The High School campus later adopted the same logo but used their school colours of black and gold. The goal of the logo for the University campus was to be distinctive from the University of Regina as well to represent the values of the College.