What are the advantages of taking IB?
A unified program that educates the whole person
- Theory of Knowledge class, and its integration into all the subjects, allows students to ask how we know what we know
- CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) allows students to develop themselves physically, creatively, and in their relationships with others.
- The program is built on a philosophy of global-mindedness, emphasizing connections across cultures.
- The IB Learner Profile informs the entire program, emphasizing the character traits that will make students successful global citizens.
- Opportunity to learn with like-minded peers in a collaborative, not competitive, environment.
- Students are encouraged throughout the program to reflect on their learning process.
Better preparation for university
- Develop the work habits, thinking and communication skills that will make you successful in the future. IB trains you to be a learner by training you to ask challenging questions, think critically, and develop your research skills.
- Research has shown that IB students consistently achieve higher university grades, enrollment rates, retention rates and graduation rates than the rest of their national cohorts.
- IB’s worldwide resources allow it to use sophisticated, relevant assessment tools and strategies that no individual school could provide. In an age where high school marks are increasingly unreliable predictors of university success, IB grades are recognized as reliable indicators of student achievement, and thus, are sought after by universities around the world.
World-renowned curriculum development
- All curricula are renewed every seven years, so every subject reflects the latest in theory and educational practice.
- Curricula are developed independently of government and national education systems, representing research and best practice from a global community of over 4500 IB World Schools, while maintaining application to local contexts.
- All IB teachers and administrators are required to attend training workshops with other IB teachers from around the world.
- As an IB World School, Luther College submits to an external review every five years that produces recommendations to improve or update all aspects of the school’s practice.
- Universities around the world provide scholarships, transfer credits and other privileges in their efforts to recruit IB students.