Did You Know?
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
When the College was first looking to relocate from Melville to Regina, it considered land at College & Winnipeg, College & Broad, and 23rd & Albert, finally settling on 18 acres of land on the west end of property owned by Government House, now called Royal Street.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
Do you know someone in Kindergarten to Grade 8 that would like to be part of the Luther Family? Encourage them to join the Future Luther Student program!
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
What are the advantages of taking IB?
A unified program that educates the whole person
- Theory of Knowledge class, and its integration into all the subjects, allows students to ask how we know what we know
- CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) allows students to develop themselves physically, creatively, and in their relationships with others.
- The program is built on a philosophy of global-mindedness, emphasizing connections across cultures.
- The IB Learner Profile informs the entire program, emphasizing the character traits that will make students successful global citizens.
- Opportunity to learn with like-minded peers in a collaborative, not competitive, environment.
- Students are encouraged throughout the program to reflect on their learning process.
Better preparation for university
- Develop the work habits, thinking and communication skills that will make you successful in the future. IB trains you to be a learner by training you to ask challenging questions, think critically, and develop your research skills.
- Research has shown that IB students consistently achieve higher university grades, enrollment rates, retention rates and graduation rates than the rest of their national cohorts.
- IB’s worldwide resources allow it to use sophisticated, relevant assessment tools and strategies that no individual school could provide. In an age where high school marks are increasingly unreliable predictors of university success, IB grades are recognized as reliable indicators of student achievement, and thus, are sought after by universities around the world.
World-renowned curriculum development
- All curricula are renewed every seven years, so every subject reflects the latest in theory and educational practice.
- Curricula are developed independently of government and national education systems, representing research and best practice from a global community of over 4500 IB World Schools, while maintaining application to local contexts.
- All IB teachers and administrators are required to attend training workshops with other IB teachers from around the world.
- As an IB World School, Luther College submits to an external review every five years that produces recommendations to improve or update all aspects of the school’s practice.
- Universities around the world provide scholarships, transfer credits and other privileges in their efforts to recruit IB students.