Did You Know?
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
What are the advantages of taking IB?
A unified program that educates the whole person
- Theory of Knowledge class, and its integration into all the subjects, allows students to ask how we know what we know
- CAS (Creativity, Activity, Service) allows students to develop themselves physically, creatively, and in their relationships with others.
- The program is built on a philosophy of global-mindedness, emphasizing connections across cultures.
- The IB Learner Profile informs the entire program, emphasizing the character traits that will make students successful global citizens.
- Opportunity to learn with like-minded peers in a collaborative, not competitive, environment.
- Students are encouraged throughout the program to reflect on their learning process.
Better preparation for university
- Develop the work habits, thinking and communication skills that will make you successful in the future. IB trains you to be a learner by training you to ask challenging questions, think critically, and develop your research skills.
- Research has shown that IB students consistently achieve higher university grades, enrollment rates, retention rates and graduation rates than the rest of their national cohorts.
- IB’s worldwide resources allow it to use sophisticated, relevant assessment tools and strategies that no individual school could provide. In an age where high school marks are increasingly unreliable predictors of university success, IB grades are recognized as reliable indicators of student achievement, and thus, are sought after by universities around the world.
World-renowned curriculum development
- All curricula are renewed every seven years, so every subject reflects the latest in theory and educational practice.
- Curricula are developed independently of government and national education systems, representing research and best practice from a global community of over 4500 IB World Schools, while maintaining application to local contexts.
- All IB teachers and administrators are required to attend training workshops with other IB teachers from around the world.
- As an IB World School, Luther College submits to an external review every five years that produces recommendations to improve or update all aspects of the school’s practice.
- Universities around the world provide scholarships, transfer credits and other privileges in their efforts to recruit IB students.