Who We Are
Did You Know?
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
Do you know someone in Kindergarten to Grade 8 that would like to be part of the Luther Family? Encourage them to join the Future Luther Student program!
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
The first annual Senior Girls Volleyball Tournament was held in 1998 and is still going strong today!
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
Who We Are
What is Luther College?
- Luther College High School is a historical independent high school offering grades 9-12, located in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Luther College was established in 1913 and consists of a high school campus and a post-secondary campus, federated with the University of Regina.
- Our motto “Quality Education in a Christian context” refers to our emphasis on education of the whole person—intellectually, emotionally, spiritually and physically—within a progressive Christian context where principles of love, community, grace and forgiveness are paramount
- Students pay tuition to attend, and the provincial government also partially funds Luther College. Luther is not a “private school” in that a true private school receives no government funding.
- Luther offers the Saskatchewan government regulated curriculum, the university recognized International Baccalaureate program and diverse liberal arts programming.
- Luther College also relies on the generosity and philanthropy of alumni and donors to support our programs, facilities, scholarships and financial assistance opportunities.
- The High School campus recently completed a $18.3 million dollar expansion in 2014 which includes a new performance stage, three new classrooms (two of which are dedicated to fine arts), a new gymnasium and student fitness training centre, our first student commons area, and upgrades to existing structures. The school also has fully renovated science laboratories and extensively upgraded on-campus dormitories.
- Our school population is approximately 450 students, with 80 of them from international locations such as Hong Kong, Nigeria, Ghana, Zambia, Philippines, South Africa, Vietnam, Ireland, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, and China. We have an on-campus dormitory with space for 50 boys and 50 girls.
- The average class size is 23 students.
- Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. In fact, we value diversity in every aspect of our school population. By welcoming students of all backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
What we're known for:
- Luther College has an outstanding academic program and university preparation with at least 96 percent of graduates going on to post-secondary education, including institutions such as the University of Regina, University of Saskatchewan, Dartmouth, John Hopkins, McGill, Harvard, Oxford, Yale, and Queen’s.
- Our alumni have been Rhodes Scholars and Nobel Prize Winners.
- Since 1953, Luther College has hosted the Luther Invitational Tournament – the longest running high school basketball tournament in Western Canada, recently inducted into the Regina Sports Hall of Fame
- Since 1973, Luther College has presented an annual Broadway musical.
- We value excellence in teaching and care for our students as individuals in the community.