Regular attendance in classes is compulsory and the responsibility of each student. Repeated absence of classes lowers a students chance for success and disrupts the continuity of the class. When a student has missed 10 classes or 15% of instruction time, whether excused or not, he/she may be asked to drop the class.
The following guidelines will apply:
- If a student is sick or not going to be at school for a valid reason, the parent or guardian must contact the General Office at email@example.com before 9 a.m. on that day.
- Residence students must have their absence cleared by a dean or school nurse.
- If a student will be absent from school for an extended period, we ask the parents or guardians contact the school administration by letter or by email each respective teacher(s) before the absence occurs.
- Medical and dental appointments should be arranged outside school hours when possible.
- Students who have been absent for a school day may not participate in or attend intramural or co-curricular activities that same day.
- It is not acceptable to miss class to study for a test or to work on a term paper, etc.
- Residence students must avoid leaving for home early and returning to school late at holiday times.
- Grade 10 students who are not scheduled for class are to use the Student Commons or library for quiet, independent study. Grade 11 and 12 students not scheduled for classes have off campus privileges.
- All students are to be in their regularly scheduled classroom with required books and equipment prior to the bell. Students failing to do so will be considered late. Two times late will be considered equal to one absence.