2000's

Did You Know?

  • Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.

  • The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.

  • Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium -  the largest high school gym in Regina.

  • The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.

  • The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.

  • In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.  

  • Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.

  • The first annual Senior Girls Volleyball Tournament was held in 1998 and is still going strong today!

2001 to 2005 – The Luther Spirit Campaign exceeds its goal of $2.5 million to repair and renovate the High School Campus’s buildings and grounds. Generous gifts from alums Gavin Semple (HS'63) and Merlis Belsher (HS'53) for repair of the gym immediately make it possible for the College to work on planning a new gymnasium.

2003 – Celebration of the 90th anniversary of Luther College is held in Melville, Saskatchewan.

2004-2005 – Total receipted charitable donations to Luther College this year exceeds $1 Million, the largest amount ever receipted in a single year.

2005 – Dr. Bruce Perlson is elected President, the first President who is also an alumnus of the school.

2010Dr. Bryan Hillis (U'78), Professor of Religious Studies at Luther College at the University of Regina, is named President.

2010 – The University Campus launches a new motto for the campus: “Think deeply. Act passionately. Live faithfully.” The High School Campus maintains the original motto of Luther College: “Quality education in a Christian context.”

2012 – After eighteen months of strategic planning, it is decided that the High School will begin a $17.3-million-dollar building and renovation program wherein a new gymnasium, Fine Arts classrooms, and Student Commons Area will be constructed with major renovations also occurring in the heritage gymnasium and locker rooms. Upgrades to electrical, HVAC, and other utilities are also initiated. The fundraising campaign accompanying this construction project is entitled A Time to Build, from Ecclesiastes 3:3.

2012 – The student body at the High School consists of 76% who are Canadian, 19% who are international, and 5% who are First Nations.

2013 – The Luther Residence at the University Campus consists of 48% international, with the majority of students coming from China, Nigeria and Brazil.

2013 – On October 10-13, 2013, Luther College celebrated “A Century of Faithfulness” in Regina, Saskatchewan. The festivities included the annual Luther Lecture featuring Dr. Martin E Marty and celebration banquet including guest host Brent Butt.