Did You Know?
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
1970 - Morris Anderson and others negotiate the ability of Luther and other private schools to have an associated relationship with the Saskatchewan Teachers Federation, making pensions for the high school teachers possible.
1970 – Barry Faires and Richard Nostbakken begin producing the High School’s musicals. Their first “Broadway musical” is Oliver, followed by productions including Man of LaMancha, Fiddler on the Roof and Mame. The Broadway musical becomes an annual tradition.
1971 – In September, classes begin at Luther’s new University Campus, a $2 million complex of academic facilities and cafeteria, with the first dormitory on the University Campus. The official opening ceremonies are held in October.
1971 – At the University Campus, Professor Paul Antrobus and others invent the game of Muckby, played in early spring when the hockey rink north of the residence has largely melted, leaving lots of Regina “Muck” to slog through. The only necessary equipment was two garbage cans and a football. It is not certain if any of the rules are meaningful. The game receives attention in some national sports news outlets and is a tradition for many years until the University stops flooding the rink.
1972 to 1976 – Luther adopts a new (and its current) logo based on the idea that “in Christ is found God’s will and design for man, plus the capacity to grow in knowledge and understanding of the world and its creator.” “Quality Education in a Christian Context” evolves as the school’s motto and mission thrust, following discussions at the University Campus.
1974 – Luther now counts 4,000 living alumni.
1974 – The position of “Principal” is separated from the position of “President.” Morris Anderson continues as President and Rudie Selzer is appointed Principal at the High School.
1975 – Luther hires its first full-time music teacher, Carl Cherland. He is hired as part of President Morris Anderson’s vision for expanding and enriching music education at Luther College.
1976 – Luther acquires three octaves of English handbells and Luther’s handbell choir begins.
1977 – The first “Luther Lecture” is held and is the first “lectureship series” on the Regina campus. Internationally acclaimed historian of Christian history, Jaroslav Pelikan (1923-2006) of Yale University was the first speaker in the series and Dr. Martin E Marty, of the University of Chicago, the second. Marty returned in October 2013 to speak at the Luther Lecture held in conjunction with Luther College’s 100th Anniversary.
1977 – University faculty organize as a bargaining unit within the larger University’s labour union (“Faculty Association”). Luther is able to do occasional teaching of courses in religion, under the University’s rubric of a “Humanities” program. Luther plays a significant role in establishing the University’s Religious Studies Department.
1977 – “Elizabethan Evenings” are an annual musical event at the University Campus.
1978 – Bryan Hillis, is the first student to graduate with a major in “Humanities – Religious Studies” from Luther College at the University of Regina. Since 2010, Dr. Hillis has been the President of Luther College.