Did You Know?
The first annual Senior Girls Volleyball Tournament was held in 1998 and is still going strong today!
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
1961 – Luther alumnus Greg Brandt (HS’55, U’56) is given a Rhodes Scholarship, the first of six that will be awarded (so far) to Luther alumni.
1961 – A series of Lutheran Church mergers means Luther is now affiliated with “The American Lutheran Church.” The new church makes drastic cuts to the annual operating grants given to its schools. Luther begins a more serious development of its fundraising abilities, supporting annual operations, to compensate.
1961 – International students come from Trinidad. Luther’s first student from Hong Kong is Josephine Chang. There are now fewer Saskatchewan students in the dorms, and by the 1980’s a majority of students in the dorm are from Hong Kong.
1963 – Recognition is given to the 50th Anniversary of the founding of Luther Academy in Melville, Saskatchewan. Enrollment at Luther is now around 360 students with fifteen full-time faculty positions.
1964 – The Province of Saskatchewan decides to give private church schools an operating grant of about $85.00 for each Saskatchewan student registered.
1964 – Rex Schneider and Emilie Walter both retire from Luther College.
1964 – Morris Anderson is appointed President and Principal. He is the first President who is not a pastor and is not German.
1964 – Luther receives the offer to “federate” with the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan and begins to study the matter. After serious deliberation, a major fundraising campaign begins. Pastor Don King of Weyburn, Saskatchewan is hired to assist with the fundraising. Rex Schneider is brought out of retirement to assist in the fundraising campaign. In 1968, the Federation agreement is finalized and soon construction begins on a building at the University Campus. This is the College’s largest fundraising campaign to date.
1964 – A new alumni magazine – Luther – is produced. It evolves into The Luther Story.
1967 – The Canadian District of The American Lutheran Church becomes an autonomous Canadian Church, known today as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC). To the present day, the Board of Luther is elected at the church’s national conventions.