Did You Know?
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
Intermediate Level (CEFR B1)
The cost for this program in 2019-20 is $14,200
1. All students who test at the Intermediate level are registered in Grade Nine and must be under the age of 15 year old. Intermediate level students will have to successfully complete 4 years of study (starting in grade 9 regardless of equivalent credits) to eligible to graduate from Luther College High School. This grade level could be adjusted (if appropriate) when the student completes the requirements for Intermediate Level ESL.
2. This program is for students needing to develop the requisite language skills to participate in a limited amount of the academic program at Luther.
3. Intermediate students attend three ESL classes (totalling 150 minutes) per day in order to help them meet the linguistic and academic expectations at Luther:
- Intermediate students will meet daily with a private teacher to work on their reading, writing, and grammar skills.
- Students will also meet in small groups (2-4 students per group) in a daily conversation class focusing on speaking, pronunciation, and listening skills.
- In addition, Intermediate level will attend a daily Vocabulary class.
4. Students will not be registered for humanities classes at this level. Humanities classes include English, History, and Christian Ethics. Students will also not be able to study Science, or any other modern language course.
5. In order to pass from the Intermediate level of ESL (CEFR B1), students are expected to demonstrate the requisite language skills for studying at the Advanced level (CEFR B2). To pass the Intermediate Level, students are required to achieve a grade of 75% or more.