Shares & Securities
Did You Know?
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
When the College was first looking to relocate from Melville to Regina, it considered land at College & Winnipeg, College & Broad, and 23rd & Albert, finally settling on 18 acres of land on the west end of property owned by Government House, now called Royal Street.
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
Shares & Securities
A donation of publicly-listed stocks, shares or securities is one of the easiest and most effective ways to give, while providing the donor with significant tax advantages.
As a result of the 2006 Federal Budget, the capital gain resulting from transferring securities to a charitable organization is not taxed.
The transaction is generally a simple electronic transfer of shares undertaken by the professional advisor but can include gifts of paper shares when that is what the donor holds.
Download our Securities Transfer form.
- Easy handling – Stocks, shares and securities can be transferred electronically.
- Eliminate taxable capital gains – When you donate stocks and shares directly to Luther, your taxable capital gains are eliminated.
- Carry forward excess credit – Excess credit may be carried forward for up to five years if your donation exceeds the amount eligible for a tax credit in the year your donation is made.
- Tax benefits for your estate – If you leave shares, stocks or securities to Luther College through your Will, your estate will receive the same tax benefits.
The chart below shows the tax advantage of donating the shares directly versus selling the shares and then donating the cash proceeds.
|Sell Shares & Donate Cash||Donate Shares Directly|
|Fair market value||$10,000||$10,000|
|Original purchase price||$2,000||$2,000|
|Taxable gain||$4,000 (50%)||$0 (0%)|
|Tax credit (assuming 25%)||$2,000||$2,500|
|Tax on gain (at 50%)||$2,000||$0|
How it works
- The easiest way to donate securities to Luther is to transfer the shares electronically from your brokerage account to Luther’s brokerage account, which is maintained with RBC Dominion Securities.
- Download, complete and send a copy of the Transfer Form to Luther College so we can acknowledge and receipt your gift.
- Donors of appreciated securities receive a tax receipt for the fair market value of their gift on the day it is received.
We strongly recommend you consult your own lawyer or other professional advisor about the applicability to your situation.
For further information, please contact:
Chief Development Office
Email at email@example.com.
Charitable Registration Number: 10765 0061 RR0001