Did You Know?
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
Do you know someone in Kindergarten to Grade 8 that would like to be part of the Luther Family? Encourage them to join the Future Luther Student program!
Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.
Because tuition alone does not cover the costs of Luther’s operations, Luther must fundraise in order to provide the necessary financial assistance for worthy students, to upgrade our facilities and to offset the cost of high-quality programs.
Your gift can help to support the following priority initiatives:
- Student Financial Assistance: Luther provides many families with financial assistance, ensuring Luther fosters a diverse student body and provides opportunities for deserving students. Your gift can help make a Luther education more accessible for qualified students who could not otherwise afford to attend Luther College.
- Professional Development: Professional development for faculty and staff creates a stimulating teaching and learning environment; students benefit directly from the new learning that faculty members bring to the classroom. Professional development opportunities and continuing education are essential as we strive to towards our vision of providing the highest quality teaching and research within the liberal arts and sciences.
- Enhanced Facilities: Luther is committed to providing new and upgraded facilities that support our academic and extracurricular programs and that will enable us to continue to provide unforgettable memories and unparalleled learning experiences for future generations of students.
- Scholarships & Awards: Scholarship support helps to ensures that that deserving and outstanding young people are able to participate in Luther’s unique educational experience. Some donors choose to make a gift to enhance one of our many existing scholarships. Other donors also wish to establish their own scholarship. A minimum of $10,000 is required to endow a new scholarship.
- Programs: Donations also help enhance programming across the campus – athletics, music, drama, film and other co-curricular activities. Classroom furniture, athletic equipment, drama costumes, sound equipment, team uniforms, special guest speakers, and computer equipment are among the many valuable things made possible by a gift to Luther.
For more information on ways to give, please contact:
Chief Development Officer