Dorm Life - What To Bring
Did You Know?
Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
Luther College High School is recognized as one of the four best university preparatory schools in western Canada with as many as 96% of Luther graduates pursuing post-secondary educations.
In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.
What to Bring to Luther College High School
This check list is designed to help you in your packing. Some items are optional, others are needed by everyone. Almost everything on this list can be purchased when you arrive in Regina. The deans will arrange shopping trips for you.
Alarm Clock (or phone)
- paper, pens, calculator, 3 ring binders
- other class specific supplies may need to be purchased during the year
Towels & Toiletries:
- towel and facecloth
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- sheets, pillow case and comforter or blankets for a twin XL bed (mattress size 39”x80” or 97cm x 203cm)
Laundry Detergent & Laundry Basket
For Your Room:
- pictures or appropriate posters to decorate your room
- boots (for warm, dry feet) scarves, gloves, hats, toques (may be purchased after arrival)
- shorts or yoga pants
- socks and shoes
Casual Wear: (for after school)
- jeans/sweatpants t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc.
- no blue jeans nor blue denim clothing
- no t-shirts with questionable images or sayings, including (FCUK brand clothes)
Dress-up Clothes for special school functions:
- For guys, a suit, shirt and tie or nice sweater and slacks
- For girls, dresses, both formal and informal, or a nice skirt and blouse or sweater
Prescription and over-the-counter drugs are to be taken to the nurse. She will check them over and decide if you are allowed to keep them in your room.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE NOT ALLOWED:
- Hot plates, woks, rice cookers, heaters, candles or incense, microwaves, personal furniture.
- No pets of any kind, including fish and turtles.
- Weapons including knives, guns, archery equipment, and martial arts weapons, as well as illegal substances and drug paraphernalia are strictly prohibited.
- Wireless INTERNET is available in all dorm rooms, classrooms and common areas.