Intermediate Level (CEFR B1)
The cost for this program in 2019-20 is $14,200
1. All students who test at the Intermediate level are registered in Grade 9. Intermediate level students will have to successfully complete 4 years of study (starting in grade 9 regardless of equivalent credits) to eligible to graduate from Luther College High School. This grade level could be adjusted (if appropriate) when the student completes the requirements for Intermediate Level ESL.
2. This program is for students needing to develop the requisite language skills to participate in a limited amount of the academic program at Luther.
3. Intermediate students attend three ESL classes (totalling 150 minutes) per day in order to help them meet the linguistic and academic expectations at Luther:
- Intermediate students will meet daily with a private teacher to work on their reading, writing, and grammar skills.
- Students will also meet in small groups (2-4 students per group) in a daily conversation class focusing on speaking, pronunciation, and listening skills.
- In addition, Intermediate level will attend a daily Vocabulary class.
4. Students will not be registered for humanities classes at this level. Humanities classes include English, History, and Christian Ethics. Students will also not be able to study Science, or any other modern language course.
5. In order to pass from the Intermediate level of ESL (CEFR B1), students are expected to demonstrate the requisite language skills for studying at the Advanced level (CEFR B2). To pass the Intermediate Level, students are required to achieve a grade of 75% or more.