Welcome New Students of 2017!
Did You Know?
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
Luther students, even though from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, have the opportunity to be part of tightly woven community of students, parents, alumni, teachers and staff. Typically 12% of the school’s student body originates from outside of Canada.
Students admitted to Luther College are not required to be Lutheran or Christian. By welcoming students of all faiths and religious backgrounds, Luther College enjoys a richly diverse student body.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
Through the A Time To Build capital campaign, we have added 46,897 square feet of space to Luther College High School, including the Semple gymnasium - the largest high school gym in Regina.
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.
Welcome New Students of 2017! This blog is set up with you in mind: to answer your questions, provide you with information about what to expect your first year at Luther, and give you the opportunity to win some Luther gear. For our first post of 2017, we thought it would be fun to introduce you to some of this year's grade 9 ambassadors, and get their perspective on how their first year at Luther is going so far.
1. I chose Luther college high school because I had heard of its wonderful academic and social atmosphere.
2. I have enjoyed improv the most this year. I have had so much fun with the wonderful coaches, Luther alumni and all of my classmates.
3. My favourite semester one class was probably my history class. I had so much fun. No kids were left out. All of us became really good friends. Our teacher always found ways to make everything interesting from trials about Alexander the Great to jeopardy.
4. For me, the best part about attending Luther is the welcoming environment. No matter who you are, who your friends are, or what grade you are in you are friends with everyone. At Luther you get to know so many people from not only your grade but all of that grades and I think that is such a wonderful thing.
1. I visited Luther twice during my Grade 8 year: once during an information night and once in a spend-a-day. Each time, I caught a glimpse of the strong academic environment and student community that is apparent at Luther. As these two factors were of top priority to me, my decision to choose Luther became a no-brainer.
2. I enjoy basketball the most out of any extra-curricular activity this year. This is because our coach makes both practices and games fun, while still pushing us to reach our maximum potential. Additionally, I have been able to make many new friends while on the team, some that I may not have met otherwise.
3. One class that I particularly enjoyed was science. My teacher made each lesson fun and engaging by using experiments and interactive activities. Additionally, our smaller class size allowed us to thoroughly delve into interesting topics.
4. I believe the best part about attending Luther High School is the amazing social environment that is present here. It was fairly easy for me to expand my friend group into numerous people. Each person I met was kind and good-natured, and I have had no negative experiences with anyone. All of the faculty and staff are caring, and push each individual to succeed. Lastly, the social environment at Luther promotes both academic achievement and compassionate behavior, which has allowed me to develop both of these qualities. This environment is a key factor to why Luther is such an amazing school.
1. Since the beginning of my education my parents have always wanted for me to come to Luther. While growing up and advancing every year to a new grade was when I realised I was not being challenged or pushed to do better. By the end of seventh grade I had realized that I am capable of doing better, I am not afraid of working hard and that I want the best chance of succeeding after school. Not only was I not being challenged academically but during elementary school I was always around the same people with little diversity, I needed a new start, a break, a chance to converse with people from different backgrounds, people I could potentially learn from. This is when I decided Luther would be a good fit for me.
2. This year my absolute favourite extra curricular I have been a part of was the musical HONK! During this season was when I met most of my good friends today. I was nervous auditioning on the second day of high school but I am so very happy I did. The overall atmosphere of this event was so positive and exciting to be a part of.
3. My favourite class this past semester was definitely art. Every morning for the length of semester one I had the privilege to start my day with my favourite activity. I enjoyed not only creating but it was also very interesting to learn about the history and the backgrounds of certain artists.
4. The best part about Luther so far has definitely been all the new friends I have met and the array of different things I have learnt not only from school but from the new people as well.
1. I chose to come to Luther because it is a unique opportunity to be part of a positive and close community of students and staff who work hard to do the best they can and help those around them to be the best they can be.Another reason I chose Luther is the International Baccalaureate program where you are challenged academically and as a person to do your best and help others.Luther also stoves to teach the whole person instead of only academically making its students kind, caring and well rounded individuals. I came to Luther to be challenged and it has not only challenged me academically but it has pushed me to be a better person.
2. I have loved doing improve with the junior team it pushes its members to be outspoken and go out of their comfort zone and it has provided me with a wonderful support system that helps me do my best and when I go too far they are there for me to rely on.
3. I absolutely loved the english class because it challenged me to learn things in a subject I thought I couldn’t learn anything more about and it proved to be challenging and very interesting.Another class I loved was history because in elementary school most of what is taught has been the same thing repeated since grade 3 so coming to Luther and learning so much about the past of the world has been a great experience as challenging as it has been.
4. The best part about attending Luther college High School is the community that it provides. As I walk down the halls I recognize every person I pass and know that I am part of a community that helps each other and I have no doubt that the coming to this school will have a lasting impact on my life in the way I interact with people.The best part about attending Luther is waking up every morning and knowing when I go to school that day I will have people waiting to see me and that I will see smiling faces that is why I wake up with a smile on my face each day.
1. I joined Luther because I was very impressed with the arts program. The visual and performing arts that were displayed throughout the school year made me feel more at home and motivated to contribute my own artistic talents.
2. The extra-curricular activities I've enjoyed throughout my experience was the musical. I was a small role but I had a lot of fun singing with my friends and trying something new.
3. In my first semester, I really enjoyed art and english. Art let me see what i was capable of. It gave me a break from the subjects that have questions with only one answer. English is also the somewhat the same but also I had the opportunity to learn about myths around the world and see how other cultures gain their own values and beliefs from the stories they're told.
4. I would say that the best part about being in Luther is that every student has the opportunity to learn and grow as a person. Whether it's socially, physically, or intellectually, the students adapt and create their own learning experience to make them successful.
Hope you've enjoyed hearing from some of this year's ambassadors -- watch this space for more information about upcoming events, contests, and information just for new students coming to Luther!