The graduation committee and administration are aware of the new guidelines that were released on June 11 regarding graduation ceremonies. We have decided to proceed with our plans of a virtual Baccalaureate Service but have added the opportunity for graduates to walk across the stage, with two family members present, to receive their diploma from Dr. Anderson. After consulting with other school divisions, the Ministry of Education’s original directive asking for virtual graduations and the short timeline to now plan an in-person component, we feel this revised plan is a fitting compromise.
This opportunity will take place on June 29 along with textbook and fob return, and the details are below:
• Graduates are encouraged to wear their cap, tassel, gown and v-stole. If a graduate did not order the souvenir package containing these items, they are welcome to wear formal or casual clothing of their choice.
• Graduates and a maximum of two family members will arrive at the west doors of LCHS during their designated time slot.
• Graduates and family members will enter the Semple Gymnasium where textbooks and fobs will be returned.
• Graduates and family members will exit the Semple Gymnasium using the east doors and proceed to the Belsher Centre.
• The graduate will proceed on to the stage and walk across to receive their diploma from Dr. Anderson. Family members are free to takes pictures and/or videos.
• Graduates will exit using the stairs at the center of the stage and will receive a gift bag containing their yearbook, alumni pin and other items.
• Graduates will exit the Belsher Centre and will proceed to their locker to clean it out. Family members are asked to exit the Belsher Centre using the east doors leading to Royal Street. Family members and graduates can reconvene in the west parking lot once locker clean out is complete.
• There will be faculty and staff present to direct traffic and control numbers in each space.
• Only one graduate and his or her family members will be present in the gym at a time.
• We ask that you please stay home if you are feeling unwell and that you practice physical distancing while in the building.
OTHER IMPORTANT GRAD INFORMATION:
• If you ordered a graduation souvenir package, it will be available for pick up on Friday, June 19 between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. Similar to the lawn sign pick up, it will occur in the bus lane at the west side of the school. Please remain in your vehicle and Mrs. Fink or Mrs. Smoliak will hand you the souvenir package. Please make arrangements for someone else to pick yours up if you are unable.
• A virtual Baccalaureate Ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, June 27 at 10:00 am. On this day, you will find a link on the home page of the LCHS website that will allow you to view the ceremony live or any time after 10:00 am. Please feel free to share this link with family and friends. There will be a PDF version of the programme alongside the link.
• We have been advised to obtain informed consent from the graduates to use their image and/or voice during the virtual Baccalaureate Service. The Class of 2020 Google Classroom
contains a consent form that we need each graduate to complete. Thank you for those who already have. To those who haven’t, please ensure it is completed as soon as possible.
• We have received the go ahead from the Regina Police Services Traffic Unit to host a drive-by graduation parade. The parade is scheduled for Saturday, June 27 at 2:00 pm and will be an opportunity for a safe, physically distant, in person farewell for graduates, staff and faculty.
A map of the route and specific instructions are below:
- Access Connaught Street from 11th Avenue (turn north on Connaught Street from 11th Ave.).
- Turn west (left) onto 10th Avenue (this is where the parade will start).
- Turn north (right) onto Royal Street.
- Exit east (right) onto Dewdney Avenue (this is where the parade will end). Please do not attempt to turn left onto Dewdney Avenue as this will back up traffic.
- LCHS faculty and staff will be lining both sides of the street and will send along well wishes as you pass by.
- To avoid traffic backing up, we ask that you do not stop your vehicle and limit each family to one vehicle.