Board Bio Details
Did You Know?
Did you know there is a 3rd floor to the boy's dorm? It was traditionally assigned to upper level students who were more mature & responsible. Students who lived up there in the 1940’s confessed, in hushed tones, to having a radio when those devices were against school policy.
The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.
Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.
The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.
In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.
The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.
When the College was first looking to relocate from Melville to Regina, it considered land at College & Winnipeg, College & Broad, and 23rd & Albert, finally settling on 18 acres of land on the west end of property owned by Government House, now called Royal Street.
The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.
Lyndon Carlson, in his first term of service, has served on the Board of Regents since 2016. He also retired in 2016 from a life-long career with Farm Credit Canada (FCC), where he served as Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer.
Prior to starting with FCC in 1982, Lyndon attended the University of Saskatchewan, graduating with a degree in Agricultural Economics. His love of agriculture is not surprising, considering he grew up on a mixed grain-beef farm near Buchanan, Saskatchewan.
Lyndon’s contributions to the Agri-business community – both provincially in Saskatchewan, and nationally in Canada – have been recognized in a number of ways: in 2012, he was named the Canadian Agri-Marketing Association’s Agri-Marketer of the Year. He was also awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012 for service to Canada. The Jubilee award was a recognition for the many years of service to 4-H Canada, during which he served on the Canadian 4-H Council, and acted as President of the Canadian 4-H Foundation. He is also currently the Treasurer for the Saskatchewan Synod of the ELCIC.
Lyndon believes that “we all live to give” and refers to this opportunity to serve on Luther’s Board of Regents as “an honour.” He is especially proud of giving back to his community through his service as a Board member because he has a great respect the way in which Luther excels at cultivating students who will go out into the world and make a real difference: “Luther has a proud history of shaping young people into great leaders. I am excited about the future and positive role Luther will continue to hold in our community.”