Board Bio Details

Did You Know?

  • In the late 1920's, during an in-house baseball tournament, Rex Schneider entered a team called "Prof Schneider's Battling Lions." This is the first hint that someday Luther teams would be known as the Lions.  

  • When the College was first looking to relocate from Melville to Regina, it considered land at College & Winnipeg, College & Broad, and 23rd & Albert, finally settling on 18 acres of land on the west end of property owned by Government House, now called Royal Street.

  • The first LIT was held on January 31, 1953. That year it was a one-day tournament involving sixteen teams from Southern Saskatchewan. All preliminary games were played cross court, two games at a time.

  • The choral tradition at Luther began in 1914. In addition to in-school performances, the choir has shared its ministry of music with many congregations across Canada and has performed regularly on local and national radio and television shows, at contests and festivals.

  • The International Baccalaureate provides an enriched curriculum that both covers and extends beyond regular Saskatchewan curricula in its depth and detail. It emphasizes the development of the necessary critical skills that university-bound students need to master: reflecting, inquiring, thinking, analyzing and evaluating.

  • Luther graduates have gone on to universities such as Harvard, Oxford, Pennsylvania State, McGill, Queen’s and other renowned educational institutions throughout Canada, North America and the world.

  • The gym officially opened July 8, 1951. The Sunday afternoon celebration, attended by 1,500 people, featured speeches followed by an evening celebration with another 1,500 people in attendance to hear the Luther Choir and the RCMP Band.

  • The Tuck Shop for snacks was at the bottom of the south stairs going to what is now the cafeteria. The legendary beans in a cone were considered a healthier & cheaper alternative to what students purchased across the street at the Aintree.

Daranne Harris (HS’95)

Rev. Daranne Harris, in her first term of service, has served on the Board of Regents since 2015. Rev. Harris serves as Vice President and Chief Mission Officer for the Bethany Care Society, one of Alberta’s leading faith-based providers of long term care and housing for seniors. As the leader of the Pastoral Care Department, Daranne ensures that the spiritual needs of residents and their families are addressed, promoting excellence in pastoral care and end-of-life care through research-based practice.

Daranne is an alumna of Luther College High School (HS’95). She gives back to Luther as “an expression of gratitude for the quality of education and relationships” it provided her and she enjoys “the continued community shared by alumni, faculty, and others committed to the school.” Through her investment of time and financial support for the school, she hopes “current and future students will also be blessed by the experience of being a Luther student and alumni.”

Daranne is ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada and brings a theological voice and background in communications to the governance conversation. When she is not serving as a board member at Luther, she is active in parish life and the volunteer opportunities of parenting. She also serves on the leadership team for Calgary’s Metro Alliance for the Common Good, an organization that brings together faith communities, labour unions, social enterprise and community groups to address systems, policies and underlying causes of poverty and injustice.